When you’re saving money, every penny counts and many consumers have realized this during the rough economy. Saving pennies, using coupons, and eating out less are just some of the ways people are saving money.
As with anything though, some people take it to an extreme. It’s likely you’ve heard of Extreme Couponing, but now another television show is giving us a glimpse into how far some people will go to pinch pennies. Here is just a few ways people have taken saving money to an extreme, be prepared for some not-so-pleasant money saving tips.
- There are certain pieces of clothing that are much easier to hand wash, but would you wash your jeans or winter jacket is the shower in an effort to save money? One woman washes her clothes in the shower in an effort to save money and prevent her clothes from fading and wearing down from the use of a washer and dryer. She believes the last time she did laundry was about three years ago.
- Another couple does weekly “fasts” on occasion in order to use up what they have in their cupboard, even if it means rinsing a jar of jelly with cider vinegar to get every last drop.
- Many people will grow their own vegetables and fruit, but what about foraging a forest for more food and hunting for meat. Most people call gardening and hunting a hobby, but for one couple it is how they sustain themselves. While not necessarily weird, it it is not for the squeamish.
- If you’re using paper towels to wipe down your kitchen counters you’ll probably toss them when you’re done. Would you rinse and dry them in order to reuse them? One man does and uses the same paper towels as many as 3-4 times.
- A recent study found that Americans throw away almost half of their food ever year. One man is helping solve this problem by asking people at public restaurants if he can have their leftovers. What would you do if a stranger asked for your half eaten sandwich?
While most people choose to save money by creating a change jar, some people go much further to save a few dollars. Do you know of any other unusual money saving habits? Let us know in the comments below. If you’re in need of some extra funds, AmOne can help you find a lender for your financial needs. A personal loan might be a great option for those who need more than what their savings account can cover, contact AmOne to learn more about personal loans and to get connected with a lender that is right for you.